Sunday, February 7, 2010

11/22/2007 Two Years, Two Tadpoles, Two Concrete Foundations, Too Much Fun


I'm about a week late but my blog has now passed the two year mark! I sure enjoy using the internet this way, I do think it's enhanced my astronomy experience to write about my activities now and then. And I definitely enjoy reading the other blogs, each with its own personality. Thank you Astronomy Blogs!
So here is a picture of the two tadpoles, swimming in the sea of IC410. (They are tiny and near the center in this little image - to really see them well, click here for a larger version of the image). It's been a long swim for them and I think the current will eventually win in a few million years. But for the time being we are lucky enough to be able to observe the dramatic effects of radiative pressure from the stars in cluster NGC1893, which are struggling through their early Hydrogen-burning years inside the dusty cocoon of the IC410 nebula. The tadpoles are areas of cooler, denser gas that are resisting the flow, thereby producing the interesting stretched-out tails which are roughly 10 light-years long. The darker "holes" in the nebula are areas that have been carved out already by the strong stellar winds. I wouldn't want to live there, but it's a nice place to visit with the telescope.
The two concrete foundations are the pier foundations that we poured on Sunday. My friends Dean and Larry came over and worked hard helping me with the project. These are going to hold the two piers that will be in Xanadu West, which I hope to have in operation very soon.
As for the too much fun, well, as always I will maintain the focus of this blog on astronomy which means I can't complain about all the other trials and tribulations of daily life - but without a doubt, astronomy continues to be one area that can be guaranteed fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment