Sunday, February 7, 2010

07/18/2007 The Moon and Venus on the Beach


Finally got a clear night and enjoyed some stargazing on the beach tonight. Here is a snapshot from my little digital camera of the crescent moon (overexposed) and Venus, shortly after sunset. Right after taking this picture, I was swimming with the kids in the warm water, but I kept looking skyward and taking in the stars.
The sky was not completely clear, but it was clear enough to see Scorpius in all it's glory. I also observed the constellation Lupus, and bright Alpha and Beta Centauri, both of which I believe was the first time that I have ever identified them (they are too low from my normal location in Tucson).
I was certainly happy to get a chance to do a little Southernly observing before the vacation ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment