Sunday, February 7, 2010

05/14/2007 It's Official, I'm Obsessed With Astronomy


Here is the proof.
The weather tonight is very bad - thunderstorms have been rolling through and a lot of rain has fallen. There are a lot of covered scopes out on the fields but I fear that some of the attendees are going to find their equipment damaged by the water.
It's rather depressing for astronomers when we're ready for some serious fun and the weather doesn't cooperate. But that goes with the hobby and I guess we all find our own way to deal with it.
I put most of my gear in my truck or Larry's trailer to keep it safe. The CGE mount is double-covered and tied down so it should be safe. One of our friends, Rockett, had his Newtonian blown over by a dust devil today and it broke the secondary mirror. I know of at least one other scope that has been damaged and I've seen a few that look like they are soaked due to inadequate covering.
However there was a lot of fun to be had today anyway, socializing with others and talking astronomy. The high point of the day was right after lunch, when Larry and I took delivery of two new Obsession Dobsonian telescopes. Mine is a 15" and Larry got an 18". Of course we were dying to give them a first light run but right now it seems quite possible that we won't get to do that at all during TSP - the weather predictions are rather dire for the remainder of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment