Sunday, February 7, 2010

05/15/2007 Another Stormy Day at TSP


Thunderstorms continue to roll through. A few people have packed up already but many are holding out hope for some clear weather. The forecast is not too good though. Last night I got up around 4 a.m. and it was mostly clear, but seeing must have been bad because stars were twinkling like crazy. Apparently it cleared about 3:30 a.m. but it was still very wet out so I just went back to bed.
Today I had a chance to see the new 100 degree Nagler on display. Al Nagler and the Televue group had it connected to a 127mm refractor, pointed at a star chart on the opposite wall. I looked through it and couldn't believe how wide the field was, far too wide to see with one look - I had to move side to side to take it all in. Really an amazing new item.
In the afternoon I went to visit a friend, BiQing, who is currently on an 11-day observing run at McDonald Observatory. Got a chance to get an "insider's" tour of the 84-inch, which they are using for high-speed photometry.

No comments:

Post a Comment