Sunday, February 7, 2010

11/09/2007 Two Clusters, Thousands of Stars


Here's an image of the Double Cluster in Perseus. "The Double" is a well-known target for amateurs, and is visible to the naked eye. I have viewed this many times through the scope, but it needs a very wide field eyepiece to get it all in. A Nagler 31mm 'hand grenade' or something like it is usually needed for a long focal length telescope.
The red giants really stand out in this field as they contrast well with the other stars.
I took this image over two nights earlier this week, first the color channels and the following night the luminance. The subexposures were only 1 minute each, the stars are so bright that it doesn't need much. Click Here to see a larger version of this image. I did a PinPoint plate solve in MaximDL, and it tells me that there are 8,376 stars in this image! Sometimes the seemingly boundless size of our universe just leaves me awestruck.
Tonight is cloudy so it's looking like a catch-up-on-sleep night for me. I've been working hard lately and plan to do some more labor on the shed tomorrow so I'm ready for a good rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment