Sunday, February 7, 2010

05/13/2007 Texas Star Party - The Fun Begins!


The stars at night, are big and bright, deep in the heart, of Texas!
Well I am finally here after months of waiting. TSP 2007 has officially begun. I actually drove out here yesterday with my friend Larry, and several other friends have joined us today. Although I've been running on very little sleep lately, and I was tired after 9 hours of driving, the clear sky last night was irresistable. So I dug down deep for enough energy to set up the scopes and play for a short while.
This is my first TSP '07 image, it is the incredible globular cluster NGC 5139, also known as Omega Centuari. Click here for a larger version and more information about this image.
This was a very quick image - only 5 x 1 minutes for each L,R,G,B. After it was finished I was just too tired to carry on, so I missed out on a fantastic night. I can only hope that we get more like it - unfortunately the weather prediction at this time isn't too good, with thunderstorms likely in a couple of days.
I really needed this astronomy fix - it's been a long spring and while I'm grateful to have plenty of work to pay the bills, it's also important to find time now and then to appreciate the calm beauty of our world and the universe around it.
There's a lot more fun in store this week, whether it's bad weather or not. On Wednesday I will be one of the afternoon speakers with a talk on spectroscopy. I have the spectrographs with me and hope to capture some good data while I'm here.
More to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment