Sunday, February 7, 2010

03/10/2008 Kitt Peak With the Scouts


Today I visited Kitt Peak National Observatory with my oldest son's Boy Scout Troop 753. I'm teaching the kids the Astronomy Merit Badge and one of the requirements is to visit an observatory.
We had a chance to get an up-close tour of the McMath Pierce Solar Telescope as well as the 2.1 meter telescope. This picture shows me and two of my sons, the oldest a Life Scout and the youngest a Bear Cub Scout, with the 4-meter Mayall Observatory in the background.
There were about 20 people in the group and everyone seemed very interested in the tour. We're lucky to have such a well-known site nearby (it's about an hour and a half drive). The weather was perfect.
I'm imaging again tonight, lots of data being collected with little time to process it...but the first light image from the new Tak is coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment