Sunday, February 7, 2010

04/01/2007 Clear Skies, Little or No Progress


Tonight is yet another beautiful clear night. The moon's full but that shouldn't be stopping me from taking advantage of the photon collection.
What is stopping me is the heavy workload of tax season. My chosen profession requires a serious mental commitment for a few months each year and as a result the astronomy activities (along with many others) slow to a snail's pace.
I've only had the telescopes operational for a few nights in the past month or so. In addition, my progress in image processing for data obtained before the work onslaught has also slowed considerably.
Here's an image that I took at Steve's place back on February 17th - about one and a half months ago. It is part of The Seagull Nebula, also known as IC2177. This region is interesting as it shows both absorption and emission features. Click here to see a larger version of this image.
I have a lot of other unprocessed data, both images and spectra. But for now it will most likely remain in raw .fits file format, or if I do process it, I won't spend a lot of time doing so. I processed this IC2177 data in less than an hour.
In a couple of weeks things will settle down a little bit. Most likely the streak of good weather will end by then, but I'm looking forward to getting back to observing. Also, I expect to do some major observatory work starting in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment