Sunday, February 7, 2010

02/15/2007 Happy Valentine's Day

The date says 02/15/2007 but I'm actually posting this at about 11:00 p.m. local time on V-day. Took my beautiful wife to a Valentine's Day Banquet at our church tonight, which has become sort of our traditional way of spending the holiday.
But hey, this is an astronomy blog, so I'll stay on topic. After we got home I glanced up at the sky, which was partly cloudy, but there was enough clearing to see plenty of stars. Among them was bright Mira, which appropriately for Valentine's Day was shining bright red in color.
I didn't attempt a magnitude estimate but it's definitely bright. According to many recent posts on the various e-mail discussion list, such as the AAVSO list, Mira is exceptionally bright this time around, some estimates have put it in the V-mag ~ 2 range.
I'm hoping the weather will clear up enough this weekend for some more Mira observing. I'd like to image it and get some more spectra (see my post a few nights ago for a Mira spectrum). Today was very rainy and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment