Sunday, February 7, 2010

07/06/2007 The Stars are Up, the Internet is Down


I have been having extreme problems with the xanaduobservatory.com website for several weeks now. If they cannot fix it within the next day or two I will be moving it to a new host.
Funny how internet problems can actually make me less likely to get out and observe the stars, which faithfully show up night after night. I suppose in a way it's sad how my enjoyment of the hobby has become so linked to the net. It's even caused me to slow down on my blog posts.
This image was one that I took at the "Bumble Bee Site", which is in the early stages of evaluation by the TAAA, during our visit a couple of weeks ago. It's a narrowband image of the Veil Nebula West (NGC 6960). I decided to mess around a bit with the colors, and combined a "Hubble Palette" version with a "CFHT Palette" version. Maybe I got carried away, but I like how it emphasizes some of the structural differences. I somehow managed to ftp the jpg file onto my malfunctioning website, you can attempt to see a larger version by clicking here.
I've imaged this region in the past but I find it so fascinating that I wanted to try it again. What an amazing area of the sky this is!
Tomorrow night is the TAAA meeting and Bill will be presenting his ideas about the site to the club. I'm looking forward to hearing what other members think about the club obtaining a dark sky site to call their own.
Not much observing going on these days. The monsoons began today with a bunch of wind, lightning, and light rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment