Sunday, February 7, 2010

11/11/2007 Comet 17P Continues the Show


This Comet is quite spectacular. In less than two weeks it has really grown fast, and although it has dimmed a little bit it's still shining brightly. I observed it tonight naked eye and could easily see that it was a fuzzy blob instead of a pinpoint star. I also checked it out in my 6.5 x 42 binoculars and was really impressed. 17P/Holmes was expected to be a minor league comet and would probably have escaped most of us, but the sudden brightening a couple of weeks ago made it a household name for amateur astronomers.
I took this image tonight using just 9 x 60 seconds in each of red, green, and blue filters. The challenge with comets is stacking them, but I think I got it pretty close. Click Here to see a larger version of this image. Compared to my image from less than 2 weeks ago, the comet is much larger. It seems that 17P has acted up before - in 1892, Barnard imaged it from Lick Observatory; it grew from 8 arcminutes to 25 arcminutes in diameter in just about a month! Here are some scans of the Lick plates:
-Nov 10 1892
-Nov 10 1892
-Nov 21 1892
-Dec 8 1892
By the way, I was supposed to go to a star party at the new dark site near the Chiricahua mountains tonight, but it was so cloudy late this afternoon that I decided not to go. It's cleared up nicely here in Tucson, but the satellite images seem to show quite a cloud cover down there so hopefully I'm not missing out. I was hoping to do a visual session with the dob, I need some eye photons! I did spend some time out back enjoying the sky tonight though. In addition to the comet, I've got the refractor plugging away on my California Nebula mosaic project tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment