Sunday, February 7, 2010

06/10/2007 A Night at the Astronomer's Inn


Tonight I'm set up at the Astronomers Inn, a bed-and-breakfast and home of the Vega-Bray Observatory in Benson, Arizona. My friend Dean works here and invited me to come out for an imaging session, and fortunately the weather cooperated.
I've got my refractor imaging M17, the Swan Nebula right now. Earlier I shot Sharpless 9 in H-alpha. It's a warm summer night but the camera's cooling nicely -with the help of the water cooler. This is the first time this season I've needed it.
The Astronomers Inn is really a great place, full of more science stuff than you can imagine. In this picture, taken before sundown tonight, you can see the dome for the 20" Maksutov, the planetarium dome (yes, there is a planetarium inside!), a roll-away observatory, and another dome. There is a also a huge roll-off roof in the middle of the house that has about six large telescopes inside. This place is truly an astronomer's dream house. Yhey even have a radio telescope here. It sits on a small hill and there are a couple of ponds near the bottom. In years past, prior to the passing of Dr. Ed Vega, the TAAA used to have club picnics here. I haven't been here for a long time so I'm really enjoying a chance to come back and enjoy the night here.

No comments:

Post a Comment